Saturday, January 10, 2009

Roman Numeral

9" x 12" Pencil and Soft Pastel on Paper

Roman Gabriel wore number 18 for North Carolina State from 1959 to 1961. He was a two time All-American and twice named the ACC Player of the Year. Roman was also an Academic All-American. A member of the College Football Hall of Fame, I remember him most from his days in the NFL with the Los Angeles Rams and Philadelphia Eagles. Consider the first large quarterback in pro football Roman stood 6'4" and weighed 235 lbs.

The only reference I could find was an old posed photograph that appeared to be done for a game program. Since there wasn't much detail in the photo I decided to use my soft pastels. I did a rather messy pencil sketch letting the paper get dirty from all the graphite. I then sprayed it with workable fixative so the paper would hold the pastels. Without blending, I laid in my colors rough and quick. Gave it another spray and added some finishing touches.

The quarterback run ends tomorrow.

No comments: