Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Bernie

8.5" x 11" Digital Painting

Bernie Kosar as a redshirt freshman started all 12 games for the Miami Hurricanes in 1983. He led his team to a 11-1 record and a memorable 31-30 Orange Bowl win over the top rated Nebraska Cornhuskers. In the game, Kosar passed for 300 yards and two touchdowns, and the win gave Miami its first National Championship. Kosar was famously immobile and threw sort of sidearm but he was very accurate setting NFL records for consecutive throws without an interception. For me, Miami was the team I loved to hate. Drawing for me is all about adjustments. I start real light and my first goal is to simply indicate where everything goes. I squint my eyes as I draw trying to identify the shapes and lights and darks often turning my drawing and reference sideways or even upside down. Once I got Bernie like I wanted him I scanned the drawing into Photoshop and started the digital painting.

No comments: